Monday, April 29, 2013

Ertmer &Leftwich Article - Teacher Technology Change


     I found this article to be very applicable to the challenges facing educators today. Whether you have been teaching for many years, or are still seeking certification, learning to use technology to meet the needs of today's learners is a challenging goal. There are many factors influencing a teacher's successful integration of technology into the classroom. These factors include the teacher's beliefs of his or her own knowledge of technology, and the culture within the school and community. Self-efficacy plays a large role in the willingness of a teacher to use incorporate technology into the classroom. If the teacher does not feel confident in in or her own ability to use technology, then it is less likely that the technology will be used.

     Unfortunately, I can honestly relate to this issue. In the past I have been uncertain of my own capabilities using technology. However, I was able to learn to use all of the software I used in the corporate world for 14 years because I had no choice. Since I used it for 9 hours each day I became familiar with it quickly. Software was added and removed, and new systems were put in place with no employee input on a very frequent basis. Employees often had no training. It was sink or swim. The culture of my workplace forced me to adapt fast and embrace the change with a smile. Teachers have more freedom in what they choose to use in their classrooms, and may not be motivated to adapt quickly.

Taking this class has also helped to build my self-efficacy in using new technologies. I was able to learn how to use many to new tools that I plan on using in my personal life, as well as in my classroom.One of my goals in my professional development plan is to learn how to evaluate technologies for use in the classroom, and how to determine which technologies will best enhance the learning outcomes of my students. According to Ertmer and Leftwich, "To achieve the kinds of technology uses required for 21st century teaching and learning (Lai, 2008;Law, 2008; Thomas & Knezek, 2008), we need to help teachers understand how to use technology to facilitate meaningful learning (i.e., learning that enables students to construct deep and connected knowledge)." I intend to pursue this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment